Crystal Allure's First Show

Whew! It's finally over! Doing a show (especially if it's your first one) takes ALOT of work!! There is so much to do, coordinate and have in inventory to make it successful and to be satisfied with your show. Needless to say, the weather was NOT on my side Saturday (Chil-E Festival, July 22, 2006).

The show began at 11am but sign-in was at 7am. Eek!! For me on a weekend that was tough! But I did it. Although it had started to rain an hour or so before that and it didn't stop until nearly noon. The truck was all packed up (thanks to my husband) and I was ready to go (all the while in my head trying to figure out how the rain will affect things). We get there, sign in and learn we're in the first booth -great! Since it's downpouring like nothing else we decided to leave and return in an hour or so...get a few more things done.

We returned to learn they decided to move the show into the nearby senior center -which based on the fact that it was still raining very badly and there was easy access to bathrooms -I welcomed the change! Being my first show I didn't want to have to also tackle the rain too. The only downfall to the whole event was the money I spent on the tent -but I also know I'll get to use it sometime as I will be doing other shows. And it was a good thing we lived around the corner from the show location because I had to send my husband home for a card table since we only had an 8' and 6' table and being put in the senior center we were on limited space.

So, my husband unpacks the truck and I begin setting up after I've been assigned my spot -which was a good spot and I was still pleased with it. Now with all that I had to do to get ready I never really did a test set up of my display. I had it all worked out in my mind -even if one idea didn't work I had back up ideas to every design.

My look kind of evolved at the last minute and it ended up being a polka dot theme and I think it looked great! I did get pictures of my display but they do not reflect what the real display would have looked like because I was positioned in front of the senior news board! But you get the idea.

The only other disappointment I had was that while picking up things the day before the show I had this wonderful and unique earring display idea -it just had to be created. So I bought all the supplies I needed and told my husband of this idea and he made it happen! Unfortunately...I wasn't able to hang it in the senior center and so I never got to use it. BUT, stay tuned to future shows as I know I'll get to use it at a later date.

Outside of these small mishaps the day went very well. I met other local designers and artisans and even with the rain the people still came in. I had a variety of pieces to offer along with a range of price levels and I even sold a bracelet that I wasn't able to get out on the table (due to time constraints) all because the customer asked if I had any smaller children's sized bracelets -and I did!

My entire expectation of the event was to get exposure in the local community and not only did I meet this goal, I also made some sales and possibly a future bridal custom order. And so at the end of this very tiring day I was very satisfied -and very thankful I had my husband to help me the entire time! He packed the truck, unloaded it, sat with me ALL day (until 7pm!), he made our lunches, packed the truck back up and then unpacked it again when we got home! He saved me and as always I am VERY grateful to him and for him! Thanks hon!!

No comments